The international Malpensa-Varese-Mendrisio section
The newly opened 17.7 km section of line connecting the cities of Varese and Mendrisio has revolutionized cross-border mobility: an area congested by car traffic has been made easily accessible by train.
In fact, for some time now, the S50 line has made it possible to comfortably reach the Swiss border directly from Malpensa airport, with hourly departures.
The journey times from Malpensa to the main stations beyond the border are 1h 14' for Mendrisio, 1h 42' for Lugano, 2h 13' for Bellinzona.
In addition to the connection from Malpensa, the cross-border service allows you to reach Switzerland from Milan. In fact, the S10 Line connects Milan Central and Bellinzona with over ten daily trips in both directions.
The purchase of cross-border tickets and passes can be made through all Trenord sales channels: ticket offices, vending machines, authorized resellers, online, apps and on board trains (for single journey tickets only).
Travel tickets can also be purchased at CTA points of sale and at the following points of sale in Milan Central:
- Trenord ticket office [ground floor, inside the Trenitalia ticket office]
- Trenord vending machine [ground floor, in front of the Trenitalia ticket office]
- "La Trottola" tobacconist [ground floor, Galleria Duca d'Aosta]
- 365 travel agency [ground floor, entrance hall at Piazza IV novembre]
- Travel agency 365 [ground floor, Piazza Luigi di Savoia]
- Ga.Ma. tobacconist [ground floor, Piazza Luigi di Savoia]
For more information on the cross-border service click here.